Sunday 11 November 2018

Working on my Prime Numbers

I have been working on my prime numbers, and have worked out and am able to prove: 
Why 6 is a prime number but 7 is not. Prime numbers are numbers that can be divided into a whole number by a number other than one, or itself. The numbers that are not prime numbers are called composite numbers.
6 divided by 2 = 3
6 divided by 3 = 2
6 divided by 4 = 1.5
and finally,
6 divided by 5 = 1.2
As you can see, 6 can be divided into a whole number by 2, or 3. That means that 6 is a prime number.
Now, lets move on to 7.
7 divided by 2 = 3.5
7 divided by 3 = 2.33
7 divided by 4 = 1.75
7 divided by 5 = 1.4
7 divided by 6 = 1.16
As you can see, 7 cannot be divided cleanly into a whole number, and is a composite number.
I hope you enjoyed my explanation of prime and composite numbers. Please leave a comment with any questions or feedback 😍😎🤓😇🤩

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla, I'm pretty sure you've got this the wrong way round. 7 is a prime number but 6 is not. Prime numbers are numbers that can NOT be divided into a whole number by a number other than one, or itself.

    ReplyDelete