Thursday 1 June 2017

Woodlice Facts

Woodlice Facts


  • Most species of woodlice can reach 0.1 to 1.1 inches in length

  • Woodlice have a tough outer shell, called an exoskeleton, on the surface of the body

  • Most species of woodlice are gray, brown or (rarely) reddish-orange coloured

  • Woodlice have segmented bodies and 14 legs

  • Most species of woodlice are active during the night (nocturnal)

  • Woodlice can survive 2-4 years in the wild, depending on the species

  • Oxygen-rich blood of woodlice is blue-coloured

I am posting this because our W.I.T
(Wildly Important Task) is based on invertebrate insects of the Frankley School bush. Our group caught a couple of woodlice (we named the Clicky and Flicky); so I thought I would do some facts around them.

5 comments:

  1. Gee you do know a lot about wood lice. They are interesting little insects aren't they? Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do woodlice help our environment Kayla? Interesting names for your 2!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woodlice occasionally nibble at seedlings and other soft plant growth but they mostly feed on dead decaying plant material and the associated fungal growth. They help to recycle plant nutrients and are not significant garden pests.

      Delete
  3. I did not know that Kayla, I learn alot from my clever grandkids , how are Clicky and Flicky , love grandpa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good. And I am the cleverest of them all!

      Delete